Nothing Like a Disclaimer

What other companies or businesses would be in trouble if they had to meet these standards?

via Room 226

 

5 Responses to Nothing Like a Disclaimer

  1. Eris Says:
    It's tragic to say, but most corporations are better run than our government has been for the last 6 years, so they could probably survive a disclaimer requirement.
  2. jscobia Says:
    Most companies are already putting these disclaimers on their product, no matter how silly they are, to prevent being sued.
    For instance, McDonalds now puts a disclaimer on their coffee stating that it's hot, so they don't get sued when someone spills it on their lap. One company that sells treatment for Restless Leg Syndrome states in their disclaimer that you may want to gamble or have sex more... what does that have to do with RLS?
  3. Matthew English Says:
    The RLS thing is a nice touch, reminds me of the Seinfeld "Jimmy Leg" episode. It also reminds me of a show on NPR where the woman said she got a prescription for RLS just so she could kick her husband every once and a while in the middle of the night.

    In what ways do we as people put disclaimers on things we do and say?
  4. jscobia Says:
    That makes me laugh, because people do put disclaimers on things we do and say.
    I worked in a call center once, and if we were going to credit the customer for some charges we had to submit a form to the credit department, which means that even though you promised the credit there was no gaurantee that it would be applied. As agents, we had to say "i'm submitting the form, but I can't gaurantee it will be approved." To protect the company, we had to make it clear that there was no gaurantee.

    People put disclaimers on other things every day though. For instance, your talking with another person about something you don't like, you may say "I don't mean to be rude but..." or "I think he's a great guy but he's just not my type." We're trying to protect our credibility as being a nice and decent person.
  5. Matthew English Says:
    I agree, people do this all the time, myself included. (Did you see that subtle disclaimer?)

    My personal favorite is when someone says "I'm just sayin'". It seems like you can get away with anything if you say that.

    "I'm just sayin'" that professor is such an egotistical butt munch..."but I'm just sayin'"